When their child is born, most parents pray that there are no physical deformities. They have dreams, plans, hopes and aspirations for that child.
Special needs children often aren’t diagnosed until they are over eighteen months old. A child not meeting their milestones, or there being a delay, often triggers further investigation and testing. Parents wait through the process hoping that it’s nothing. Many are shocked at the outcome.
Parents report that they go through a period of mourning feeling as if all their plans for that child have now drastically changed. It’s normal- they have changed. All of the plans they had for that child suddenly evaporate as they realize that their child’s future will be different than they had envisioned. However, their plan has changed- not God’s- and their future may be different. But different is not necessarily bad. Many children with special needs- whether it is physical, behavioral, etc- are very content, and lead full lives.
Parents of children with learning disabilities face the same challenges as those who are faced with a diagnosis of autism- for example. Parents may see the learning disability as an obstacle to their child receiving a higher education, or even a good paying job. Although what they fail to notice is that many successful people have learning disabilities, and the diagnosis does not have to limit your child. They commonly go through a period of seeing the limitations instead of seeing the truth that God indeed has a plan and purpose for them.
Kelly Ann Mitchell lovingly discusses that God indeed has a plan and purpose for your child with special needs. He can, does, and will use them for His glory. Their future is not limited, but limitless as God can do anything.
Kelly journies parents away from that sense of despair and into a place of hope as she encourages you to help your child be who God designed them to be. Every child is special in God’s eyes. Kelly will help shift your perspective and give you both hope, and encouragement.
Our next issue comes out April 26, 2017.
- The Case For Christ Will Turn Any Atheist Into A Believer… Hands Down! - April 19, 2017
- John Hagee Ministries Righteous Revolution Conference Returns For A Second Year - April 13, 2017
- Wheels of Hope Rising Foundation Gives Hope To Africa’s Underpriviledged - April 12, 2017
- The Hidden Truth About Down Syndrome: Do You Know The Reality? - April 10, 2017
- A Childhood Physical Disability Does Not Mean Limitations In Life - April 10, 2017
- Bullying Labels Your Child With Negative Words: Learn How To Erase Them - April 5, 2017
- God’s Plan And Purpose For A Special Needs Child Are Not Limited - April 4, 2017
- Parents, Do You Need Peace, Strength, and Energy? It’s A Prayer Away! - April 3, 2017
- “Your Child Has Special Needs”: Parents, What Do You Do? - March 31, 2017
- Unforgiveness? A Bondage? Gotta Break That Chain! - March 17, 2017