Hillsong New York’s pastor, Carl Lentz, posted on Facebook as to why the church has embraced the Black Lives Matter movement, and addressed racial injustice. Lentz explained explicitly why the church refrains from utilizing the phrase, “All Lives Matter”.
“At THIS church,” Lentz wrote. “We are not saying ‘all lives matter’ right now because this is a logical assumption that most reasonable people agree with. All lives are not at risk right now. We ARE saying BLACK LIVES MATTER. Because, right now, black lives apparently are worth LESS on our streets. It’s “our fight” not “their fight.”
Hillsong New York has been known to be one of the most influential young congregations in the United States. They regularly engage in conversations around the topics of race and social injustice. In the previous week on Instagram, Lentz posted a black and white photo of the church’s leadership team. In explaining why he chose to do so, Lentz commented that the ironic thing about using a black and white filter on a photo is that you are unable to distinguish someone by race.
The church openly discussed issues that people deemed frustrating, sad, uncomfortable, and that left them feeling vulnerable. They discussed how it felt to currently be a black person in American society
Lentz commented appreciatively, “All I can say, is that I’m glad to be a part of a church and community that is a work in progress and discontented w/ status culture quo.”
“I would encourage anybody who cares about people, to somehow find a way to hear voices of those that don’t share your journey. It will impact you. And times are as urgent as they have ever been… What’s cool to me?? I don’t see this photo and think about color. I see this photo and I think about family.”
- Could Your Marriage Be Suffering And You Don’t Even Know It? - February 16, 2018
- Harmony Possible In Marriage With God At The Head - February 12, 2018
- A Godly Marriage Sets Children Up For Success - February 7, 2018
- Chivalry: Does It Still Exist In Men, Today? - February 5, 2018
- Financial Frustration Placing Stress In Your Marriage? - February 2, 2018
- Military Families Will Maintain Strong Marriages - February 1, 2018
- Effective Communication In Marriage In FIVE Steps - January 31, 2018
- Rare Super Blue Blood Moon Occurs Tomorrow - January 30, 2018
- What Are The Keys To A Happy Marriage? - January 29, 2018
- Jon Erwin Discusses Movie Based On MercyMe - January 23, 2018