Hillsong New York’s pastor, Carl Lentz, posted on Facebook as to why the church has embraced the Black Lives Matter movement, and addressed racial injustice. Lentz explained explicitly why the church refrains from utilizing the phrase, “All Lives Matter”.
“At THIS church,” Lentz wrote. “We are not saying ‘all lives matter’ right now because this is a logical assumption that most reasonable people agree with. All lives are not at risk right now. We ARE saying BLACK LIVES MATTER. Because, right now, black lives apparently are worth LESS on our streets. It’s “our fight” not “their fight.”
Hillsong New York has been known to be one of the most influential young congregations in the United States. They regularly engage in conversations around the topics of race and social injustice. In the previous week on Instagram, Lentz posted a black and white photo of the church’s leadership team. In explaining why he chose to do so, Lentz commented that the ironic thing about using a black and white filter on a photo is that you are unable to distinguish someone by race.
The church openly discussed issues that people deemed frustrating, sad, uncomfortable, and that left them feeling vulnerable. They discussed how it felt to currently be a black person in American society
Lentz commented appreciatively, “All I can say, is that I’m glad to be a part of a church and community that is a work in progress and discontented w/ status culture quo.”
“I would encourage anybody who cares about people, to somehow find a way to hear voices of those that don’t share your journey. It will impact you. And times are as urgent as they have ever been… What’s cool to me?? I don’t see this photo and think about color. I see this photo and I think about family.”
- 13th Annual Elijah List Ministries Conference Just Announced - November 17, 2017
- How Do You Teach Children How to Flow In The Supernatural? - November 16, 2017
- President Trump Engages in “The Ultimate Deal”- Peace Talks Ensue - November 15, 2017
- How Do You Teach Your Children To Heal Others? - November 14, 2017
- Dream Speak: Is It God, Satan, Or Just Me? - November 13, 2017
- Gretchen Keskeys Discusses New Album, “Pure Hope” - November 11, 2017
- Spirit of Discernment, Wisdom, Or Is it Just Me? - November 8, 2017
- 5 Reasons Sleep is Key for Success - November 7, 2017
- Do Your Dreams Have Meaning? What Is God Saying? - November 2, 2017
- Have You Ever Wondered “God, Why Am I Here?” - November 2, 2017