U.S. Soccer Federation deems Solo’s comments “unacceptable” and does not meet their standard of conduct
In the wake of the Lochte/Feigen/et al story, we add one more to the mix: Goalkeeper Hope Solo received a six month suspension for her comments made about the Swedish team at Rio 2016. The comment was made following the quarter final in which Solo referenced the Swedes as “a bunch of cowards”. US Soccer president, Sunil Gulati, did not take the comments lightly citing the remarks as unacceptable.
Video Courtesy of theguardian.com
Solo was previously suspended for 30 days for another incident last year.
In an official statement, the US Soccer issued the following statement:
“The comments by Hope Solo after the match against Sweden during the 2016 Olympics were unacceptable and do not meet the standard of conduct we require from our National Team players,” said U.S. Soccer President Sunil Gulati. “Beyond the athletic arena, and beyond the results, the Olympics celebrate and represent the ideals of fair play and respect. We expect all of our representatives to honor those principles, with no exceptions.
“Taking into consideration the past incidents involving Hope, as well as the private conversations we’ve had requiring her to conduct herself in a manner befitting a U.S. National Team member, U.S. Soccer determined this is the appropriate disciplinary action.”
After receiving this verdict, Solo issued a statement saying that she was “saddened” by the decision, and only wanted the best for her team. She claims that she has devoted seventeen years to the team, and has played the game with both passion, and unwavering commitment.
USWNT Players Association executive director, Rich Nicols, weighed in on the issue calling the punishment disproportionate and a violation of Solo’s First Amendment Rights. Nicols also questions as to whether this verdict would have been handed down if Solo had been a male.
While many feel outraged regarding the decision, others feel the punishment is justified. Critics have cited the previous suspension claiming that it was too lenient, and feel the harsher punishment is more justified.
The USWNT will play two more games during Solo’s suspension.
Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2016 Faith Filled Family
- 13th Annual Elijah List Ministries Conference Just Announced - November 17, 2017
- How Do You Teach Children How to Flow In The Supernatural? - November 16, 2017
- President Trump Engages in “The Ultimate Deal”- Peace Talks Ensue - November 15, 2017
- How Do You Teach Your Children To Heal Others? - November 14, 2017
- Dream Speak: Is It God, Satan, Or Just Me? - November 13, 2017
- Gretchen Keskeys Discusses New Album, “Pure Hope” - November 11, 2017
- Spirit of Discernment, Wisdom, Or Is it Just Me? - November 8, 2017
- 5 Reasons Sleep is Key for Success - November 7, 2017
- Do Your Dreams Have Meaning? What Is God Saying? - November 2, 2017
- Have You Ever Wondered “God, Why Am I Here?” - November 2, 2017