Catholics and Evangelicals disagree on this topic, while some Christians mash up faiths, but what’s the truth?
Catholics say that praying to the saints such as St. Christopher, St. Michael, and the Virgin Mary is not worshiping idols. They believe that by praying to the saints, the saints are interceding on their behalf- but it goes deeper than that.
Saints are selected for many reasons- some of which include special giftings that God has bestowed upon a person that has manifested in their earthly life. Catholics may pray to a saint with these special talents in hopes that they will either intercede on their behalf, or are looking for help in certain areas such as protection or healing.
Praying to the Virgin Mary, for a Catholic, is a hope that as a mother, she will intercede on their behalf. They believe that as the mother of Jesus, she holds a special place in Heaven- and they have scripture that supports this belief.
Catholics are very upset and the misrepresentation of their faith. There are those that claim that they “worship idols” by praying to the saints when they feel that they are certainly not!
Evangelicals/Baptists believe that they can refute the need to pray to a saint, and feel that the concept of the Catholic faith is contrary to their interpretation of scripture. They stand firm of the scripture that states that in His name (Jesus), we can do all things. The Bible mentions Jesus and the Holy Spirit as our intercessor- not saints- and they feel that the Catholic faith is in error in their message.
Then there are Christians who “mash up” faiths taking a bit from one faith, something from another, and creating their own. They believe that all faiths have something to offer and all contain a bit of God’s truth. Some just add a bit here and there to suit their own beliefs and lifestyle.
Yet in all of this controversy, there still remains one simple question: What is the truth according to God’s Word? Some of the arguments are easily refuted with scripture, yet others have validity on both sides.
Read more about this interesting clash of theology and get a deeper understanding in our next issue coming out in ONE WEEK!
- Taffi Dollar Discusses Building Strong Marriages In April Cover Story! - April 19, 2018
- North Korea And South Korea War Expected To Cease Next Week - April 19, 2018
- Kim Walker Smith Announces 2018 On My Side Tour - April 17, 2018
- Indiana’s New Law Gives Unborn Children Personhood - April 12, 2018
- What You Don’t Know About Leadership - April 10, 2018
- Kirk Cameron Joins Rep Mike Johnson In Freedom Student Summit - April 9, 2018
- Controversial Topic: How To Effectively Discipline Your Child - April 6, 2018
- Concerned Parents Planning Global Sex Education Sit Out - April 5, 2018
- Word of Knowledge On Social Media Saves A Baby From Being Aborted - April 5, 2018
- Parenting Quiz: Are You Powerful, Prayerful, or Praise-Worthy? - April 4, 2018