This is a moment in history that many American Christians have waited fifty years for that may happen:
The Jerusalem Post reports that the Israeli Knesset and U.S. Congress will participate in a joint video event on Thursday marking the 50th anniversary of the reunification of Jerusalem. According to the report, it could signal a “tacit” recognition of Jerusalem as Israel’s capital.
The report indicates that either President Trump or Vice President Pence will attend the meeting on Capitol Hill with Speaker of the House, Paul Ryan, presiding as host. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Knesset Speaker Yuli Edelstein will participate from the Knesset. All members of Knesset and both houses of Congress will be invited to the event.
Historically, the U.S. has not officially recognized Israeli sovereignty in Jerusalem that Israel liberated in 1967. Thus White House participation in this event may be viewed as a tacit acknowledgement of Israel’s sentiment about Jerusalem.
During Trump’s campaign, he adamantly proclaimed on several occasions that Jerusalem is the eternal capital of Israel, and his desires to move the Embassy. This move would acknowledge Jerusalem as Israel’s capital thrilling voters, Israel, and Christians alike. However, today, he has decided against it… for now.
“No one should consider this step to be in any way a retreat from the President’s strong support for Israel and for the United States-Israel alliance,” the White House said in a statement.
President Trump intends of forging ahead with peace negotiations between Israel and Palestine.
The statement says, “President Trump made this decision to maximize the chances of successfully negotiating a deal between Israel and the Palestinians, fulfilling his solemn obligation to defend America’s national security interests.”
The statement also mentions that Trump still plans to move the embassy, so the question is not whether the move happens, but when.
Some are disappointed at the news of delaying the move. It appears, to some, that he is delaying the move much like Presidents Clinton, George W. Bush, G.W. Bush, and Barack Obama who postponed things for six months.
The 1995 Jerusalem Embassy Act stipulates that the embassy be relocated to Jerusalem, yet has been repeatedly detained. The detainment is justified by saying that it would hinder peace talks between Israel and Palestinian Authority.
- 71% Of Kids Hide Internet Activity. Could Yours Be One Of Them? - May 26, 2018
- Elevation Worship Hallelujah Here Below Tour On Sale Now - May 25, 2018
- President Trump Cancels North Korea Nuclear Summit - May 24, 2018
- President Trump Delivers Heartfelt Speech On Abortion - May 23, 2018
- Teaching Your Children How To Take Authority Over Demons - May 19, 2018
- Can Imaginary Friends Really Be Masking A Demon? - May 19, 2018
- Stepping Into The Things That Punchlines Are Made Of? - May 18, 2018
- Have Social Trends Dictated How We Are Evangelizing To Others? - May 17, 2018
- Steven Malcolm Shares Impactful Testimony In FFFM’s June Issue - May 16, 2018
- Ireland Prepares For A Deeply Emotionally Controversial Vote: Abortion Laws - May 14, 2018