Ohio Governor, John Kasich, signed a bill on Tuesday banning abortions performed after 20 weeks. At the same time, he vetoed a bill that proposed to ban abortions at the sound of a baby’s first heartbeat.
Kasich’s ban on 20-week abortion makes Ohio the fifteenth state to adopt this law. The law was originally created with the intent on protecting unborn children who may be able to feel pain by 20 weeks.
Pro-life activists are celebrating this small victory, yet some are discouraged over the veto on the “heartbeat bill.”
Kasich commented that the heartbeat bill would have cost the state an expensive legal battle against pro-choice activists.
“The State of Ohio will be the losing party in that lawsuit and, as the losing party, the State of Ohio will be forced to pay hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars to cover the legal fees for the pro-choice activists’ lawyers,” Kasich said. “Therefore, this veto is in the public interest.”
CEO of Concerned Women for America, Penny Nance, condemns the veto as the “most pro-life law in the nation.”
Nance believes that Kasich should have signed the bill and let the judicial process unfold. She feels the veto casts a cloud over the 20 week ban.
However, Ohio lawmakers can still override the veto. It would require a 3/5 majority vote, however, from each chamber.
Many pro-life advocates are hoping that the ban will be the first of several victories coming from President-elect Trump while he is in office.
Additionally, conservative law makers from Texas, Missouri, Iowa, Indianna, and Kentucky are looking to push pro-life legislation, and President-elect Trump promises to support those efforts.
Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2016 Faith Filled Family
- Joni & Friends VP Discusses Families Coping With Disabilities - January 18, 2018
- Atlanta Pro-Life March To Be Held This Friday - January 17, 2018
- Top 50 Countries With Highest Christian Persecution - January 11, 2018
- 529 Homeschool Bill Cut May Not Be A Bad Thing - January 8, 2018
- Why You Should Look At A Leader’s Family - January 5, 2018
- Radio Host, Brant Hansen, Discusses Being A “Misfit” - January 5, 2018
- Trials After Prophetic Word? Did I Hear From God? - January 2, 2018
- Raising Tomorrow’s Godly Leaders In An Ungodly World - December 29, 2017
- Would Jesus Be Proud Of Your Leadership? - December 29, 2017
- Show Me God’s Blessings In All Areas For 2018 - December 27, 2017