Do you know what the difference is? Most people use these words interchangeably, but they mean two different things when it comes to God. Grace is God’s unmerited favour in our lives, while mercy is God’s compassion for His children. They are two separate facets, yet they work interchangeably.
God gives His children grace not because we deserve it, but because He loves us. In the process of us maturing in Christ and becoming more Christ-like, God is patient. His grace covers our mistakes, and He doesn’t penalize us when we deserve it. God’s correction is gentle and loving. Yet make no mistake, God doesn’t tolerate habitual sin, either.
Chris Schmidt discusses the difference between grace and mercy in the lives of the believer, and also dispels many myths that Christians have fallen prey to. For instance, have you ever heard the following statements:
- God’s grace will cover any sin that I commit. All I ever need to do is repent, and God and I are good.
- I don’t have to make any changes. God loves me the way I am.
- I know that I’m sinning. I just can’t help it. I’m just a sinner saved by grace. God knows I want to change. I’m okay on the path that I’m on. Grace will cover my sins.
- Grace is unconditional.
- Everyone has grace- believer and non-believer.
- You can’t fall from grace.
- You can receive more grace.
- God will always have mercy on me. I don’t have to change.
If you have heard many of these statements, this article will clarify exactly what God’s grace and mercy are. It will also discuss the case of habitual sin, and the limits to God’s grace.
This article and many more in our November 2017 issue on grace, mercy, forgiveness, and thankfulness being released on October 26th!
- Affair Proof Your Marriage With Six “Hedges” With Nancy C. Anderson - March 23, 2018
- Mindfulness Meditation Being Taught In Schools- Parents Be Aware! - March 22, 2018
- I Can Only Imagine Movie Surprise Box Office Hit! - March 19, 2018
- Holy Spirit “Moves” Explained: What’s Real And Contrived - March 16, 2018
- David Green (Hobby Lobby) Featured In April Issue Of FFFM - March 15, 2018
- Bible Verse Ad On Billboard Accepted Then Refused By Agency - March 15, 2018
- Unrepentant Sin: What Happens Before We Enter Heaven? - March 14, 2018
- Taffi Dollar Announces 2018 Radical Revolution Conference - March 13, 2018
- Demonic Activity: Why Hollywood Got It Wrong - March 12, 2018
- Azusafest Prophetic Conference Coming In April - March 8, 2018