Do you know what the difference is? Most people use these words interchangeably, but they mean two different things when it comes to God. Grace is God’s unmerited favour in our lives, while mercy is God’s compassion for His children. They are two separate facets, yet they work interchangeably.
God gives His children grace not because we deserve it, but because He loves us. In the process of us maturing in Christ and becoming more Christ-like, God is patient. His grace covers our mistakes, and He doesn’t penalize us when we deserve it. God’s correction is gentle and loving. Yet make no mistake, God doesn’t tolerate habitual sin, either.
Chris Schmidt discusses the difference between grace and mercy in the lives of the believer, and also dispels many myths that Christians have fallen prey to. For instance, have you ever heard the following statements:
- God’s grace will cover any sin that I commit. All I ever need to do is repent, and God and I are good.
- I don’t have to make any changes. God loves me the way I am.
- I know that I’m sinning. I just can’t help it. I’m just a sinner saved by grace. God knows I want to change. I’m okay on the path that I’m on. Grace will cover my sins.
- Grace is unconditional.
- Everyone has grace- believer and non-believer.
- You can’t fall from grace.
- You can receive more grace.
- God will always have mercy on me. I don’t have to change.
If you have heard many of these statements, this article will clarify exactly what God’s grace and mercy are. It will also discuss the case of habitual sin, and the limits to God’s grace.
This article and many more in our November 2017 issue on grace, mercy, forgiveness, and thankfulness being released on October 26th!
Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2017 Faith Filled Family
- You May Be A Good Leader, But Are You A Godly One? - December 14, 2017
- Looking For An Educational And Entertaining Movie For the Family? - December 13, 2017
- Tithe Or Eat: What To Do If There Isn’t Enough - December 12, 2017
- Why Settling In Life Can Stop God’s Blessing - December 11, 2017
- How Do You Successfully Balance Work & Family? - December 9, 2017
- Taffi Dollar Announces 2018 Women’s Conference - December 6, 2017
- Voting Now Open For We Love Christian Music Awards - December 5, 2017
- Get Out Of Being A Lender’s Slave - December 4, 2017
- Does Your Belief Align With God’s Truth About Money? - December 2, 2017
- National Geographic Explores The Secrets Of Christ’s Tomb - November 29, 2017