Miss America 2008, Kristen Haglund, who is a national eating disorders awareness advocate, is featured in a new, twelve minute segment in I Am Second White Chair Film. In it, she discusses her struggle with an eating disorder, and how she found hope in Jesus.
Haglund shares, “There is so much shame and stigma that surrounds eating disorders. I hope that sharing what I went through and the freedom I experience now in recovery will help give others hope: to know that they are not alone, and that eating disorders are serious, but can be overcome. Life can be beautiful and full and free.”
I Am Second is a non-profit organization founded in 2008 in Dallas, Texas which inspires people of all faiths to live for God and others. Prominent actors, athletes, musicians, business leaders and former drug addicts have all shared their testimonies of hope on it.
Haglund joined the outreach team at Timberline Knolls Residential Treatment Center where she works as a Community Relations Specialist and travels to share her own personal recovery testimony. Her mission is to encourage young women to speak up about the fact that these deadly illnesses such as eating disorders are not glamorous. She believes women have the responsibility to define beauty on their own terms, to respect themselves, and their bodies.
Miss America afforded her the privilege of joining with the Eating Disorders Coalition in Washington to lobby for the passage of Mental Health Parity, and speak at a Congressional Briefing introducing the Federal Response to Eliminating Eating Disorders Act.
Haglund wants to bring hope and a voice to those struggling with eating disorders. She also founded The Kristen Haglund Foundation which provides financial assistance for those seeking treatment for eating disorders. She additionally became an ambassador for the National Eating Disorders Association in 2012.
View her testimony below:
Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2016 Faith Filled Family
- Joni & Friends VP Discusses Families Coping With Disabilities - January 18, 2018
- Atlanta Pro-Life March To Be Held This Friday - January 17, 2018
- Top 50 Countries With Highest Christian Persecution - January 11, 2018
- 529 Homeschool Bill Cut May Not Be A Bad Thing - January 8, 2018
- Why You Should Look At A Leader’s Family - January 5, 2018
- Radio Host, Brant Hansen, Discusses Being A “Misfit” - January 5, 2018
- Trials After Prophetic Word? Did I Hear From God? - January 2, 2018
- Raising Tomorrow’s Godly Leaders In An Ungodly World - December 29, 2017
- Would Jesus Be Proud Of Your Leadership? - December 29, 2017
- Show Me God’s Blessings In All Areas For 2018 - December 27, 2017