When a couple first learns that they are expecting a child, their first prayer (said quite often) is that their child is born healthy and without “defect/disability”. Parents wait at ultrasound with “baited breath” to hear that everything is progressing normally, and many wish to know the gender of their child. Yet imagine that moment of joy at seeing your beautiful baby being formed in the womb stolen by the words of, “we have a concern” or “there appears to be a problem”, accompanied by a sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach. What do you do? How do you overcome this situation?
First of all, it is useful to note that ultrasounds can be wrong, and prayer can change any situation. Yet thousands of children are diagnosed with cerebral palsy, spina bifida, heart defects, and other genetic abnormalities each year. Parents are suddenly confronted with the possibility that their child may have a physical disability which alters their perceptions of what that child’s future will be. In many cases, parents are given a choice at this stage, followed by the “facts”: they can choose to go full term with the knowledge that the child will have special needs, or they can still safely choose to abort.
Sadly, in their grief, many parents choose to abort, and these pregnancies never go to full term.
Those who do not consider abortion to be an option are faced with a “What happens now?” scenario accompanied by the feeling that their child will never live a normal life. Some parents blame themselves, and anger at God is quite common as the couple moves towards acceptance.
Julie Cosgrove takes the reader on a journey through the stages a parent goes through upon that initial diagnosis, and through towards acceptance with scripture. This article will give you the hope and encouragement that you need at this time that no matter what the outcome, things will be o.k. Julie will teach you that God is by your side, and has given you everything that you need. She will comfort you with the knowledge that God would not give you anything that you could not handle.
Our May edition will be released on April 26, 2017.Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2017 Faith Filled Family
- Continually Passed Up For Promotion? Why? - January 19, 2018
- Matthew West Invites Listeners To Go “All In” - January 19, 2018
- Joni & Friends VP Discusses Families Coping With Disabilities - January 18, 2018
- Atlanta Pro-Life March To Be Held This Friday - January 17, 2018
- Top 50 Countries With Highest Christian Persecution - January 11, 2018
- 529 Homeschool Bill Cut May Not Be A Bad Thing - January 8, 2018
- Why You Should Look At A Leader’s Family - January 5, 2018
- Radio Host, Brant Hansen, Discusses Being A “Misfit” - January 5, 2018
- Trials After Prophetic Word? Did I Hear From God? - January 2, 2018
- Raising Tomorrow’s Godly Leaders In An Ungodly World - December 29, 2017