Today, the United States Supreme Court rules 5-4 that denying marrying same-sex couples violates the 14 amendment of the United States Constitution. Now, same sex couples can be married and there is an element of equal protection under the 14th Amendment.
President Barack Obama said last Friday that he felt that the right of gay people to marry in all U.S. states is vindication of the belief that ordinary people can accomplish the extraordinary, and has “made our union a little more perfect”. Obama also said that the decision affirms what millions of Americans already believe in their hearts. He further states that when all Americans are treated equal, we are all more free.
37 out of 50 states including the District of Columbia already allow gay marriage, and after Friday’s ruling, all others must now follow suit.
The ruling only affects state laws. Religious institutions can still choose whether or not to marry same-sex couples.
He praised the perseverance of those who have fought for gay rights and marriage equality for decades “and slowly made an entire country realize that love is love.”
The decision resulted in many same sex couples heading immediately to county clerks’ offices to get marriage licences.
“No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice and family. … [The challengers] ask for equal dignity in the eyes of the law. The constitution grants them that right,” Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote in the majority opinion.
Today, the White House donned rainbow colors which is the symbol of the gay rights movement, on Twitter, and on their home page to celebrate the ruling.
Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2015 Faith Filled Family
- Top 50 Countries With Highest Christian Persecution - January 11, 2018
- 529 Homeschool Bill Cut May Not Be A Bad Thing - January 8, 2018
- Why You Should Look At A Leader’s Family - January 5, 2018
- Radio Host, Brant Hansen, Discusses Being A “Misfit” - January 5, 2018
- Trials After Prophetic Word? Did I Hear From God? - January 2, 2018
- Raising Tomorrow’s Godly Leaders In An Ungodly World - December 29, 2017
- Would Jesus Be Proud Of Your Leadership? - December 29, 2017
- Show Me God’s Blessings In All Areas For 2018 - December 27, 2017
- Higher Vision Worship Is January Music Spotlight - December 23, 2017
- Comedian Tim Loveless On January Cover - December 22, 2017