Today, the United States Supreme Court rules 5-4 that denying marrying same-sex couples violates the 14 amendment of the United States Constitution. Now, same sex couples can be married and there is an element of equal protection under the 14th Amendment.
President Barack Obama said last Friday that he felt that the right of gay people to marry in all U.S. states is vindication of the belief that ordinary people can accomplish the extraordinary, and has “made our union a little more perfect”. Obama also said that the decision affirms what millions of Americans already believe in their hearts. He further states that when all Americans are treated equal, we are all more free.
37 out of 50 states including the District of Columbia already allow gay marriage, and after Friday’s ruling, all others must now follow suit.
The ruling only affects state laws. Religious institutions can still choose whether or not to marry same-sex couples.
He praised the perseverance of those who have fought for gay rights and marriage equality for decades “and slowly made an entire country realize that love is love.”
The decision resulted in many same sex couples heading immediately to county clerks’ offices to get marriage licences.
“No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice and family. … [The challengers] ask for equal dignity in the eyes of the law. The constitution grants them that right,” Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote in the majority opinion.
Today, the White House donned rainbow colors which is the symbol of the gay rights movement, on Twitter, and on their home page to celebrate the ruling.
Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2015 Faith Filled Family
- 13th Annual Elijah List Ministries Conference Just Announced - November 17, 2017
- How Do You Teach Children How to Flow In The Supernatural? - November 16, 2017
- President Trump Engages in “The Ultimate Deal”- Peace Talks Ensue - November 15, 2017
- How Do You Teach Your Children To Heal Others? - November 14, 2017
- Dream Speak: Is It God, Satan, Or Just Me? - November 13, 2017
- Gretchen Keskeys Discusses New Album, “Pure Hope” - November 11, 2017
- Spirit of Discernment, Wisdom, Or Is it Just Me? - November 8, 2017
- 5 Reasons Sleep is Key for Success - November 7, 2017
- Do Your Dreams Have Meaning? What Is God Saying? - November 2, 2017
- Have You Ever Wondered “God, Why Am I Here?” - November 2, 2017