Most of our world emphatically promotes the separation of church and state citing “tolerance” as the reason for the decision. While on the surface it sounds like what we are doing is right- that we are being inclusive rather than exclusive- the decision has its downfalls.
Society has evolved so that it accepts some beliefs because it is not politically correct to do otherwise, and silences others. We are indeed being exclusive without even realizing it. Tolerance cannot be claimed if we allow some religions to have an active voice and yet discriminate against others. It begs the question of whether we are promoting understanding or oppression.
Distortion of Thomas Jefferson Letter
Thomas Jefferson’s Letter to the Danbury Baptist Association in 1802 is commonly quoted to demonstrate why church and state should be separated. However, the meaning behind it has been skewed to suit ulterior motives.
The meaning behind the letter was to inform them that government and politics would not interfere with the running of the church. Many countries were historically infamous for infusing politics into the church for fear of uprising, control, or oppression of the people. It inhibited freedom of worship, and violated privacy rights in many cases.
Our next issue will discuss whether Christians should have a voice, and be active in politics. It will discuss whether church and state should be separated, and what society would look like if it were.
Next issue being released on August 26th, 2016.
Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2016 Faith Filled Family
- 13th Annual Elijah List Ministries Conference Just Announced - November 17, 2017
- How Do You Teach Children How to Flow In The Supernatural? - November 16, 2017
- President Trump Engages in “The Ultimate Deal”- Peace Talks Ensue - November 15, 2017
- How Do You Teach Your Children To Heal Others? - November 14, 2017
- Dream Speak: Is It God, Satan, Or Just Me? - November 13, 2017
- Gretchen Keskeys Discusses New Album, “Pure Hope” - November 11, 2017
- Spirit of Discernment, Wisdom, Or Is it Just Me? - November 8, 2017
- 5 Reasons Sleep is Key for Success - November 7, 2017
- Do Your Dreams Have Meaning? What Is God Saying? - November 2, 2017
- Have You Ever Wondered “God, Why Am I Here?” - November 2, 2017